Now that you have completed the Required Forms section, let’s explore what the optional forms are and what purpose do they fill. Depending on your needs you may file all, none, or some of these.

There are 3 optional forms:

  1. Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
    • Upon approval, this allows the Green Card applicant to legally work in the U.S. while the Green Card application is in progress.
    • This one is typically approved before the green card approval, so it comes highly recommended, even if you currently have a work visa e.g. H1B.
  2. Form I-131, Application for Advance Parole
    • Upon approval, this allows the Green Card applicant to return back to the U.S. after traveling outside of United States.
    • USCIS states it is NOT guaranteed that you may be admitted back despite of having this approved
  3. Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application
    • This form is a request to be notified by text message and/or email when USCIS receives your application.

Personally, we recommend filing Form I-765 and Form G-1145 only.

File Form I-131 only if you’re planning on traveling outside the U.S. in the foreseeable future. Form I-131 can be filed later without any additional cost, if need arises. Also, keep in mind that approval of Form I-131 does not guarantee a re-entry, so we’re not a big fan of traveling outside the Unites States while the application is in process.

However, if you have pressing circumstances and need to travel, we highly recommend consulting an immigration attorney to discuss your case.

greencardEZ is not a law or accounting firm. The information provided on our website, including discussion boards and in our meetings and services, is not a substitute for tax or legal advice from a professional. No content on this website should be construed as legal or financial advice. Consult with a designated official, tax professional, or attorney on personal tax or legal matters. greencardEZ is not affiliated with or endorsed by any U.S. Government Agency, including U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), or U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Use of the greencardEZ website and its services are subject to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. ©2024 GREENCARDEZ, LLC

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?