Purpose: Form I-864 has to be filed by the U.S. Citizen to show ability to financially support the Green Card Applicant.
- Who is filling Form I-864: U.S. Citizen
- Additional people may file I-864 in conjunction with the U.S. Citizen
- Form I-864 filing fee: $0
This page contains easy to follow step-by-step Form I-864 instructions.
Tips and Checks
- Fill using BLACK ink
- I recommend saving a local copy, so you don’t lose your entered data
- Make sure the form hasn’t expired. Expiration date is stated on the top right corner of the form.
- For items that are Not-Applicable, write “N/A” (without the quotes)
- For item that have the answer none, write “none” (without the quotes)
- For those who have already taken or are planning on taking your spouse’s last name, use your new last name while filling the application.
- It does not matter if your SSN, Drivers License, Passport etc. have not been updated to reflect your new name. Your marriage certificate suffices the name change requirement
- Download Form I-864 instructions for additional information/clarification
Form I-864 Instructions
- For most people I-864EZ should suffice. Instructions for I-864 coming soon. Stay tuned…
That concludes the Form I-864 Instructions. If you have any thoughts, questions, or clarifications on Form I-864 Instructions , feel free to ask and/or discuss them in the Marriage based Green Card discussions.