Purpose: Form I-131 has to be filed by the Green Card Applicant to obtain Advance Parole Travel document. Upon approval of this application, the applicant may travel outside the U.S. even if Green Card application is in progress.

This page contains easy to follow step-by-step Form I-131 instructions.

  • Who is filling Form I-131: Green Card Applicant
  • Form I-131 Filing Fee: $0 (when filed with Form I-485)

Tips and Checks:

  1. Fill using BLACK ink
  2. I recommend saving a local copy, so you don’t lose your entered data
  3. Make sure the form hasn’t expired. Expiration date is stated on the top right corner of the form.
  4. For items that are Not-Applicable, write “N/A” (without the quotes)
  5. For item that have the answer none, write “none” (without the quotes)
  6. For those who have already taken, or are planning on taking your spouse’s last name, use your new last name while filling the application.
    • It does not matter if your SSN, Drivers License, Passport etc. have not been updated to reflect your new name. Your marriage certificate suffices the name change requirement
  7. Select the Form I-131 Instructions tab above for our awesome instructions.
    • If that doesn’t work for you or you’re curious about how cryptic they can be, download USCIS’s Instructions
uscis form i-131 instructions marriage based

Form I-131 Instructions

  • Coming Soon…

That concludes the Form I-131 Instructions. If you have any thoughts, questions, or clarifications on Form I-765 Instructions , feel free to ask and/or discuss them in Marriage based Green Card discussions.

greencardEZ is not a law or accounting firm. The information provided on our website, including discussion boards and in our meetings and services, is not a substitute for tax or legal advice from a professional. No content on this website should be construed as legal or financial advice. Consult with a designated official, tax professional, or attorney on personal tax or legal matters. greencardEZ is not affiliated with or endorsed by any U.S. Government Agency, including U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), or U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Use of the greencardEZ website and its services are subject to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. ©2024 GREENCARDEZ, LLC

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?