Here’s the list of USCIS forms you will need to file for a green card through marriage officially referred to as Adjustment of Status through Marriage to a U.S. Citizen.

Let’s do a quick check to ensure you qualify for adjustment of status filing:

  1. Green Card applicant (spouse) is married to a U.S. Citizen
    • If you’re planning on getting married soon, file after getting married
  2. Green Card applicant is 18 years of age or older
  3. Both spouses are living in the United States
  4. Green Card applicant has never been arrested, charged, or convicted of any crimes in any country
  5. Green Card applicant has entered USA lawfully i.e. was inspected by a Customs & Border Protection (CBP) Officer at the time of last arrival
  6. Green Card applicant is not amidst deportation proceedings

If you answered yes to all of the above, Congratulations! You may proceed. If not, please consult with an immigration attorney for your available options.

Note: We’re not immigration attorneys and we’re not providing legal advice. We’re simply providing instructions on how to fill out the forms. If you feel the need to consult with an immigration attorney, we encourage it.

There are five (5) Required forms that you must file, and three (3) Optional forms that you may or may not file, depending on your needs.

Required Forms:
  1. USCIS Form I-130
  2. USCIS Form I-130A
  3. USCIS Form I-485
  4. USCIS Form I-864
  5. USCIS Form I-693
Form I-944 Update

In 2020, USCIS had passed a new requirement to file USCIS Form I-944 as part of the required forms. As of March 9, 2021, this form is no longer required.

Optional Forms:
  1. USCIS Form I-765
  2. USCIS Form I-131
  3. USCIS Form G-1145

At the moment don’t burden yourself with trying to understand what each one of these do. We’ll take you through them in a logical manner, and along the way we’ll explain what each one does as it becomes pertinent. Let’s begin with the Required forms and once we’re done with those, we’ll discuss the Optional ones.

greencardEZ is not a law or accounting firm. The information provided on our website, including discussion boards and in our meetings and services, is not a substitute for tax or legal advice from a professional. No content on this website should be construed as legal or financial advice. Consult with a designated official, tax professional, or attorney on personal tax or legal matters. greencardEZ is not affiliated with or endorsed by any U.S. Government Agency, including U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), or U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Use of the greencardEZ website and its services are subject to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. ©2024 GREENCARDEZ, LLC

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?